Thursday, August 7, 2008

This one time, at band camp...

So P is entering the high school this year (OMG) and he decided to be in the marching band. That means this week he is attending BAND CAMP! 9am to 9pm all week - that's a lot of marching! The high school is right across from our house, so P is staying with us all week and just walking back and forth over to the camp each day. While my husband originally rolled his eyes a little at the idea of his son being in marching band, I think it's great for a number of reasons. P is really talented at music. He plays french horn, though in the marching band he will be playing melephone, and he's just good at it. He also played piano for several years (this will be the first year he won't be playing piano) and he was really good at that too. He has a great ear for dynamics and timing, and I enjoy hearing him play anything.

He is also meeting lots of new people this week. So when he starts school in couple of weeks, he'll see a lot of familar faces in the halls. Plus, his best friend is in the band as well. Great!

I think P is enjoying it. The reason I think this is because he hasn't complained about going at all. And P usually isn't the kind of kid who jumps at the idea of spending an entire day outside in the heat being active. He's much more into his XBOX and comic books and computer games. But he's gotten home each day this week at about 9:15 in a great mood. Beet red from sunburn, but still, in a great mood! He sat down with C and I last night for a long time telling us all about the stuff they are learning, and little jokes people play on each other, and about the directors and the silly water games and races they do in the afternoon to cool off. I am so pleased with the way it has gone so far.

I'll have to remember all this come december when we are sitting outside during a halftime show freezing our butts off.




- The Good Stepwitch

1 comment:

Mrs. Fisher said...

Football games are generally over by Decemeber, aren't they? :-) I AM SO EXCITED! Another Bando! Woo Hoo! You'll have to send me a schedule and when I am not marching, I will come see him march!
-m