Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The return of HAP

WARNING: this post contains a lot of grumbling.

HAP returns tomorrow from a 10 day trip out to the west coast with their mom and stepdad. I know C is so excited to have them back, and I am looking forward to seeing them too. BUT, I am not looking as forward to what their return will mean for our schedule. School starts next Tuesday, and we will be thrown back into the fall schedule of soccer practice 2 nights a week and soccer games every weekend, marching band practice 2 nights a week and football games every weekend, piano lessons, possible horesback riding lessons, girl scouts, tennis lessons - and school work every night as well.

HAP is involved in a crazy amount of stuff. It's something that C and I don't always see eye to eye on. Frankly, I think they do too much. And this year, with P starting high school, and A starting middle school, school work is going to be tougher for them and I worry about our evenings being too packed and too stressful.

Here's another scheduling issue:

C sees home care patients after work. It's good extra money and he enjoys it and I love that he does it. BUT, he sees 7 homecare patients a week. And he schedules them all for the days he doesn't have the kids. So on Mondays and Wednesdays (HAP-free days), he doesn't get home till almost 8:00. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, we have the kids and end up driving them all over the place and and doing homework until as late as 10:00. I feel like I don't get to see C much during the fall. And that sucks.

The past 10 days were really nice. Our weekend was our own, our evenings were relaxing, and now I am just grumpy about how that is coming to an end. Even the weekends when the kids aren't here with us, we will still be driving to New Jersey for soccer tournaments and going to marching band competitions all over the place. And while I LOVE HAP and LOVE spending time with them and cheering them on and everything, what it comes down to is this: Some days I am their cheerleader, and somedays it feels like I am just a chauffeur/babysitter for someone else's kids.

OK, enough grumbling and moping and feeling selfish. Think Paris, think Paris, 8 days with your hubby in beautiful Paris...


-The Grumbling Stepwitch

3 comments:

Amy Mae said...

Reading all their activities just made me tired! I hope the fall goes by quickly for you!

Crawler said...

If it's any consolation I don't see my wifey in the Fall as well because of tutoring, marching band competitions and football as well.

The Good Stepwitch said...

you guys are sweet - and Ian I know my fall is cake compared to your and Shell's!! How does she do it??