Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I would have hated this...

I found out yesterday that P's high school now has an up-to the minute record online for every student's grades. This means that at any time, parents can go online, enter a password and see how their child is doing in his or her classes. It has test and quiz scores as well as what their overall grades are at that time in their classes. So C went online to check out P's grades last night, and saw that P currently has a C average in his math class. This led to C and P having a "very serious talk" about getting that grade up or XBOX privileges will be revoked, and that led to P being in a really rotten mood last night.

I have to say, I felt bad for the kid. I would have HATED having my grades available for my parents to review at any time in high school. I wasn't a bad student, and I usually buckled down at the end of the marking periods and did what I had to do to get at least a B, but I bombed tests sometimes. That didn't mean I didn't turn around and do better on the next test so my grade averaged out. And P is a really good student overall. He's not a slacker. Sigh.

What do you think?


-The Good Stepwitch

4 comments:

Amy Mae said...

I would have hated it too! I used to hide my progress reports when they'd come in the mail lol! If P needs a math tutor let me know - don't forget I was a math major!

MSC said...

Honestly it stinks from the teacher's perspective too. It's a lot of work to get those grades posted in a timely fashion. So glad I am not doing that anymore.

Shawn Godfrey said...

As a parent and a teacher, I force myself to look at the kid's midterm reports, but I have resisted the temptation to look at their online grades. I can't deal with the anxiety it creates. Not that I don't care about my kids' and their education, but there is a point where we can micromanage things a bit too much. This online thing is an enabler for that! So, I prefer the surprise!!!:)

Mrs. Fisher said...

We are going on-line as of the end of the 2nd MP. Our gradebooks will be open for parents. Bad because I have to keep up with grading my 6 kids...good because it is now up to the parents to check grades and I no longer have to send progress reports and email after homeworks are missed :-)