I was in Louisiana for a couple of days for work, and had an interesting conversation with a woman, part of the team that makes up our client for the job. It confirmed what I had always figured, I would never make an acceptable southern wife. This woman had perfect hair and nails and a different amazing suit/shoes/handbag combo each day I saw her - something that would usually make me feel a little shabby (and not at all chic) but she had a lovely southern drawl and was so charming that I couldn't help but feel comfortable with her, even if the heels of own shoes were horribly scuffed and the insoles were currently held in place with double stick tape.
(sidenote: I am one of those annoying people who cannot help but mimic the way someone is talking to me if they have an accent. I always worry someone will think I am mocking them.)
We were talking about our families at one point and I mentioned I had 2 teenage stepdaughters at home and my four-year-old son. "Who looks after things when you're away?" she asked me. "Oh, my husband's at home," I answered. Her eyes literally widened, and she shook her head side to side. "My, you are brave lady to let him handle all that." I sort of chuckled (in a very coy, southern way..) "Oh well you know, he's actually very good at handling all sorts of things around the house."
Very good??? Hell, C could run the house with one hand tied behind his back from Louisiana if he had to! It's me who goes to pieces when C travels: I have to take H where? At WHAT time, and then pick up A and 3 friends from who's house? What do I do with R? When do we eat, and more importantly, WHAT do we eat? I don't really do the whole cooking thing! HELP! Mom, Dad, can you come over???
I would make a terrible Southern wife. I cannot have perfectly coiffed hair at 8:00 in the morning, and I cannot allow myself to purchase $100 shoes. I can't cook or entertain or make endless small talk in an charming and intelligent manner. Thankfully, I don't think we will ever move to the south.
I was so looking forward to this weekend and being home with my family after traveling. R had swimming lessons this morning, and I swam with him for about 20 minutes prior to him lesson, which I love. At least, I love it now that our YMCA has a new heated pool for swimming lessons. In the past lessons were held in a pool that was filled with water that felt like it was about 65˙F. C and I would reluctantly get in the pool with R for his pre-lesson swim and then high-tail it to the showers afterwards to thaw out. But now with a heated pool, pre-lesson swims are lovely and R loves showing off what new swimming skills he's working on.
We also got our fall pumpkins today. R was very set this year in what he wished to do with our pumpkins. He wanted a big pumpkin to carve, a medium pumpkin to paint, and a little pumpkin to draw on. So that's what we got.
| Pumpkins for all! |
R went right to work painting his pumpkin. He chose a modern approach. I love watching him do anything artistic. I makes me smile inside and out!
We finished R's evening by watching "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!" which R had never seen before. He loved it. He would have watched Snoopy dance to Schroder's piano playing for an hour. He was a mass of giggles.
C left after dinner tonight to head down to D.C. for the Army ten-miler annual race which is tomorrow. His brother, who lives in D.C. is doing the race too so C is staying with him tonight rather than drive down ridiculously early in the morning. It sounds like a lovely route and the weather should be good, so hopefully this will be a good finish to the "racing" season. We have been attending a lot running and bike races this fall. It has been fun and exciting, but I think C is ready to have some time off.
Tomorrow, we will have soccer, only two games left! Then we will see if we can carve our big pumpkin when Chris gets home.
Happy Fall, y'all!
-the good stepwitch
No comments:
Post a Comment