Monday, September 30, 2013

The Hubby's new passion

A few months ago, C got a road bike. His cousin, his brothers, and his mom all ride road bikes and have been after C to join in the action. So a few months ago, C's cousin announced he was going to find a good used road bike for C. Which he did. And C bought it and started riding.

C is very fit and athletic, so I knew he would pick it up quickly, even though he hadn't been on a bike in years. He did. He rode with his mom, his cousin, by himself, and on Saturday he rode in his first official ride/race: The MS City to Shore Ride.

This is a ride members of our family have been doing for 4 years now, ever since our cousin's father (Papo) was diagnosed with MS. Sadly, we lost Papo, not to MS, but to cancer, about a little over a year ago. We went to cheer family on in the race before, but this year we also went to cheer on C!

The kiddos and I drove down to Ocean City in the morning and met up with some family at a beach house that we had all rented for the weekend to use as a home base. It was a block off the ocean, and it was a beautiful September beach day. R and his sisters enjoyed running around the beach with 3 other cousins around R's age. At lunchtime, more people had arrived at the house and we were getting ready to head over to the finish line to cheer on Team Papo. 

The kids had fun decorating laminated Team Papo flags to wave at the finish. At around 1:20 our team rode by waving and giving low-fives to the kids as they rode past. It was really sweet.

Everyone headed back to the beach house for a BBQ and to unwind. H and A took the little kids back while I walked with C and he pushed his bike. He was almost giddy.

"I really had a good time. I like going FAST. I really like passing people and weaving in and out of people. And I HATE it when people pass me."

Competitive? um, yeah.

So I see more races in C's future. Which is fine, cause my hubby looks pretty fine in his bike shorts...


2 Cousins on the left, hubby on the right



- the good stepwitch

No comments: