We own a 100-year-old 3 story twin. When we bought the house almost 8 years ago. It had been completely redone and flipped by a builder. Everything in it was new, solid countertops, tile floors in the bathrooms, new windows and new carpet. It was move in ready, which we wanted, and it had 4 bedrooms which we needed with HAP. A lot of headaches also came a long the house, associated with things we could not see... The house has basically no insulation, a basement that floods (until recently!!!! - Thank you dad!!!!) and a number of other things that come with owning a old house. We have tried to make improvements each year to the house, since we realized we were not going to be leaving this house anytime soon thanks to the timing of the housing crash. Our latest project has been the front porch.
When we moved in, porch had a unpainted, hack-job railing that the builder installed last minute to make the porch up to code. It was ugly, but it was temporary, I told myself. We painted it, put some flowers on the porch and said "We will fix that soon".
Almost 8 years later and "soon" has arrived!!! I couldn't be happier!
Here is the old porch:
This is after we painted. I do love the old architectural arches at the posts. They were original to the house and I really wanted to keep them. And I love having a white porch to fly our flag on. Just looking at this picture I am struck by how much has changed since it was taken in 2008. We have had the house re-sided, a more buttery yellow, we got a full view storm door and painted the front door red. Our plants are much nicer in the front now too.
So here are some new porch pictures!
I seriously love it. I love the new solid posts, I love how we now have a flat, level rail to put drinks, I love our new house numbers that match our nickel door fixtures. And I love love love that we painted the ceiling light blue. And the contractor who did the work found a way to alter our arch detail pieces slightly and re-attach them to the the new posts. Love him!!!
But most of all, I love my hubby. who did the majority of the painting this labor day weekend. LOVE LOVE LOVE him big time.
So the porch is finished, almost. We have do have to re-roll the floor unfortunately, because we dripped some blue paint on one uncovered area. But that's fine and will go fast.
One more improvement checked off the list! Happy labor day!
-the good stepwitch
No comments:
Post a Comment